for brookins

Sunday, March 27, 2011




mike brookins is married to my second cousin.
but growing up he was more like an uncle than a cousin.
when i was little my parents lived in lexington.
mike and his then girlfriend attended.
the university of kentucky.

they were the only ones
who would babysit me.
i was not a pleasant child.
and this act created a bond between us.

and needless to say, made him
very fond of chace when he met him last spring.
he was quite smitten with chace.
so smitten, that he gifted him
his beloved kentucky hat.

chace has yet to understand the
significance of this gift.
he will someday.
but it was not lost on his mama.

i am not a big basketball fan.
but i do get into march madness.
i usually route for the underdog.
this afternoon, before the UK-UNC game
i pulled out the UK hat and put it on chace.
it seemed to be good luck.
UK won.

so brookins, this one is for you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lucinda!
    I think Chace wearing the UK cap did the trick. We're excited the Wildcats made it to the Final Four, hope they play well in the last 2 games.
    Mike says it wasn't such a bad deal to baby sit you when you were a baby since your Mom and Dad would always treat him to Baskin Robbins! He indeed is smitten with Chace and your tribute to him brought tears to his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucinda,

    He is so precious. He has grown a ton and is gorgeous. Enjoy him.(which I know you do) I still love my "baby boy" to pieces everyday and he is 12. He's not gonna let me for much longer;-(

    Julie

    ReplyDelete