what i didnt tell you

Monday, April 13, 2009

remember my darling great aunt virginia? well, what i did not tell you is that she is an amazing painter. she hand paints the most delicate images on china. her subjects are small but have so much life in them, these tiny little brush strokes of color that make a profound impact, especially on the recipient. aunt virgina has always been a painter. I am lucky enough to own some of her pieces, christmas ornaments, a water pitcher, a bracelet that she painted for my grandmother and as of this afternoon the following pieces with birds on them. the first is a christmas ornament with a hummingbird on it and on the back is cooper's name written in the most perfect cursive. i don't know if aunt virginia knows this, but my dad's mom, mawmaw, loved hummingbirds and would watch them for hours. whenever i see one in the backyard, i know that she is close by. i have a feeling that i will start to see them in pairs, mawmaw showing cooper the way of the hummingbird.



aunt virginia included the following little diddy about hummingbirds: legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration. the hummingbird's delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life's sweetest creation.



and then there was this delicate little box with all kinds of birds on it for my precious husband and i. i just love it so. and think it will be a perfect addition to my dresser and may even put some of sweet cooper's ashes in it. it seems fitting.

i continue to stand in awe of how my family, friends and strangers are showing their love for my cooper by making the most beautiful pieces of art. pieces that are the essence of who they are, pieces that let me know that i am loved and not alone, and pieces that help to heal my broken heart. i cant not thank you all enough.

3 comments:

  1. Those are just beautiful! What a talented family you have -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, beautiful art. It's like the universe is surrounding you with birds! Thank you for sharing about the hummingbird; we have a feeder for them where we watch and enjoy them all summer.
    Your Cooper will always be a special little one, always and forever.
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rember mawmaw and the humming birds. I remember all of the red feeders and the sugar water for them! I, too, think of her when i see them. It makes my heart happy to think of that right now.
    love ya sis

    ReplyDelete