a three day trip

Thursday, March 22, 2012

i have just returned from a three day trip.
it was not a quick get away to the beach
or a three day shopping spree in NYC.
it was not three days of pampering at a spa
or a cultural weekend in toronto.

over the last three days
i have spent some time
in an emergency department,
the an operating room
and a hospital room.

the long and short of it is
that i had appendicitis
and had an emergency appendectomy
late monday afternoon.

it was routine.
nothing out of the ordinary.

i will tell you this
my two c-sections were less painful.
but i am feeling better today.
the hardest part is not picking up chace.
they told me no lifting for 2 weeks.
ya, right.

i digress.

there was one very
funny thing that happened
during my stay.

after they admitted me
on monday there was still some
time before i went into surgery,
so they transported me from the ED
to my room.

now, the only time i have been in the hospital
is when i had my babies.
so i thought you always had a private room.
the transport guy was wheeling me
onto my floor and i was stricken with panic.

i realized that i had to share a room.
i looked at ph with pleading eyes
please dont make me stay with a stranger.
he told me it would be ok.
i was not so convinced.

they proceeded to get me settled
and over the course of the next 45 minutes
we heard the following coming from the other side of the room
" can you get me a bedpan and some towels?
my sister is going to streak my hair when she comes to visit?"

ph and i stare at each other in disbelief.

then we heard from the husband
who was close to 400 pounds with long black greasy hair,
"BELCH, i drank that grape juice too fast, BELCH"

really? are you serious?
ok what adult drinks grape juice at 4 in the afternoon?

we inquire about a private room.
they tell as that they would work on it.

as it is time to take me down to surgery
i decide to go to bathroom.
it took the nurse  5 minutes to clear
a path from to the bathroom door
because of all the clutter and junk that they had with them.
and they just looked at her with disdain.

i had a private room when i returned from surgery.
whew.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're recovering from your unplanned trip - and, too funny about the roommate. I've only ever been hospitalized for giving birth, and I assumed all rooms were private, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hope you're feeling better. I actually elected to go to a smaller hospital locally for both of my back surgeries for the sole reason that they guarantee private rooms for all patients. I feel ya! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    - AB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you are feeling better. Hopefully the humor of the situation was able to distract you from the panic you might have been feeling.

    And, now that that is over, you have a very funny story to share with all of us. I can't get over the bedpan and hair dye. Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That was an eventful week. I hope you are feeling better. Now it's time to plan a FUN 3 day getaway for when you are all better.

    ReplyDelete